The Sign Glossary is a growing list of words and phrases related to the sign industry. This is a great resource for anyone looking to expand their knowledge of signs to help make a better decision with respect to their signage needs.
- A synthetically produced plastic that can come in the form of paint, fiber, resin, ‘glass’ and other varieties. Acrylic polymers are great for these applications due to its elasticity and transparency.
- A sheet of canvas or other material that is stretched across a frame and mounted on the side of a building, usually above a doorway or window. These are common business applications as they offer an inviting cover and aesthetically pleasing entrance way.
- The leading sign manufacturing company in the region! Bartush makes and installs custom signs for businesses to help brand and establish your company’s reputation. Call them today for a complete signage solution.
- Brand Awareness
- The extent to which a company is recognized by potential clients and is associated with specific products or services. Company signs and logos are an extremely important aspect in creating a solid branding for any business.
- A large, exterior board or sign that is used primarily for displaying advertisements. Commonly seen as roadside ads along busy highways. These can also be in digital form and are usually illuminated at night time.
- Carved Signs
- Channel Letters
- Custom-made characters, usually made of plastic or metal. Channel Letters are commonly used for exterior signs representing commercial buildings and are usually lit. Sometimes referred to as “dimensional letters”.
- CAM (Computer-Aided Manufacturing
- A technique that uses the precision of well-programmed software and machines to create or fabricate items.
- Electronic Message Center (EMC)
- EMCs include digital displays (messages served on monitors or screens) and LED lit signs. These are an effective, high-tech way to vary your message at will!
- Fiber Optics
- An optical fiber is a narrow, hollow tube that allows light to travel through it and emit from the end. This creates a unique lighting effect that can be applied to signage.
- Ground Sign
- Hanging Sign
- Illuminated Sign
- LCD (Liquid Crystal Display)
- Letter Spacing
- Light Emitting Diodes are a type of light source where an electrical component emits photons as an electrical current passes through. This type of lighting has a lot of benefits over traditional filament or excited gas lighting.
- Marquee Sign
- A gas which produces a distinct red-orange glow when exposed to an electrical current.
- Projecting Signs
- A type of exterior building sign that is designed to protrude from the building, so that it can be seen from the side. These signs are popular on “main” streets as people walk up and down the sidewalk passing by many other businesses.
- Pylon Sign
- This type of sign is a common choice for office buildings, shopping centers, retail stores and more. It is placed outside and usually stands on a tall support (1 or more beams) with a sign or collage of signs featured on top.
- A process where plastic is heated to a point where it becomes pliable enough to form into a specific shape. This is a common manufacturing process used for sign making.
- The art of lettering or arranging written text. This significantly impacts readability and is therefore an important consideration when delivering messages via text.
- Vehicle Wrap
- Wrap advertising is the act of placing an ‘ad’ or graphic on a vehicle, resulting in a mobile billboard. These are used in many industries such as transportation or food trucks!
Glossary designed and maintained by SEOwrit.