Large attractive store front signs and neon lights are the life of any metropolitan city. But it’s just not the glam and the glitz that catches the eyes of the people, storefront signs are actually a pretty practical way of advertising your business. Discussed below are five simple and effective steps for choosing the best storefront sign for your new business
Consider the legalities
The first and foremost thing that any businessman must conform to is the zoning restriction and legalities involving the use and installation of sign boards outside shops. Many cities are somewhat liberal about it whereas in other places you might have to get special permission or permit before getting a storefront sign. Authorities might also limit the information to be featured on the sign or require some payment.
Notice your peers
Now that you’ve understood the ground rules of installing sign boards, the next step is to determine the design, shape, and location. A smart way to decide the location is by observing the neighborhood and locating the roads and crossings attracting the biggest crowds possible. The sign board must compliment your store and boost the visibility.
Keep it simple yet unique
The best storefront signs are usually those that present the information in a simple yet elegant way. People must be able to figure out the sign at just one glance. Avoid adding intricate details and complicated information; it will only confuse the viewer. Keep the tone short, crisp, and engaging.
Know about the types of signboards
Gone are the days when shopkeepers used simple wooden plank as sign boards, there are a lot of different shapes, sizes, and types of signs that you can choose from. Some of the more popular sign board types are mentioned below:
- Painted wooden signs: The safest option would be to stick with the conventional wooden sign boards that are simple and easily customizable.
- Painted glass signs: You can try painting the glass windows and display areas of the shop. This budget friendly idea is not only practical but also adds to the aesthetic appeal of the location or structure.
- Metal sign boards: The tough, sturdy, and durable metal signboards are water resistant and anti-corrosive. Plus it enhances the special old school vintage charm to the place!
- Metallic logo and engraving: Adding 3D metal logo and lettering to your sign board boosts the overall look and feel of your storefront considerably. And though the initial investment is high, it pays off well in the long run.
- Fabric signs: You can even design storefront signs using fabrics such as vinyl, plastic, or nylon. And though these banners are affordable, colorful, and innovative it is high on maintenance.
- Awning signs: awning signs feature a shade of sorts that protect the sign from any external damage. You can even install an air conditioner or special lights underneath for extra oomph.
Associate with the right company
Now that you’ve decided the kind of sign you want and designated a space for it the next step is to contact a sign manufacturing company. Look around and enquire about the sign companies in the neighborhood and associate with one that best suits your requirement. Also consider the monetary aspect of the deal before you make any decision. The cost of the sign is directly proportional to the physical dimensions of the board.
The bottom line
Storefront designs are perhaps among the best ways to spread the word around and expand the customer base of your store. But your job doesn’t end with just installing a sign board outside your shop, you also need to check on it regularly. Maintaining the storefront sign is as critical as hanging one on top of your store.